Re: Making use of eject key

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Konstantin Svist wrote:
>
>> According to showkey -s, the key code is "0xe0 0x7d".
>> How do I make the key usable in KDE?
>>

> I don't know how to use showkey -s, but you can try xev.
>
> Run xev, press the eject button and watch for the KeyPress event.  You
> should see:
>
> keycode ##
>
> as part of the output.  After that you will see "keysym ####, " then
> either a symbol name or "No Symbol".  If you see "No Symbol", create or open
>
> ~/.xmodmap
>
> in a text editor.  Add the line:
>
> "keycode ## = XF86Eject"
>
> Now, you need to make sure:
>
> xmodmap ~/.xmodmap
>
> runs on startup.  There are various ways of doing this, the simplest of
> which is adding a script to:
>
> ~/.kde/Autostart
>
> Once you have run xmodmap, KDE should treat it as a normal key.
>
> If a key is already assigned, you can skip this the xmodmap process.
>
> Matt Flaschen

Awesome! That worked!
First I thought I'd do it system-wide and placed the entry in
/etc/X11/Xmodmap but apparently kdm doesn't look in there by default. At
that point, I realized that I can't run a shortcut from the login window
and just did it your way (except named the file ~/.Xmodmap since it
seems to be the convention)

Thanks Matt!