Re: Fedora makes bad pdf files?

> > > Dear Linux Using Friends:
> > >
> > > I've run into a trouble that Firefox users
> who
> > "print to file" and
> > > create pdf output generate files that acroread
> cannot
> > open.
> > >
> > > My teaching assistant first discovered this while
> > browsing the web.  A
> > > variety of pdf created by print to file were
> viewable
> > in evince, but
> > > not acrobat.  SInce most students are using
> acrobat on
> > Windows or
> > > Macintosh, this created a problem.
> > >
> > > In my Ubunutu Linux (Hardy Herron) system, the
> error
> > message I see
> > > when I try to open the file is "There was an
> > error processing a page.
> > > Error while parsing a Form, Type 3 font, or
> > Pattern."  I have not seen
> > > the Microsoft Acroboat error with my own eyes,
> but the
> > students
> > > complain it says "not a valid pdf
> file."
> > >
> > > In one example, the error says "Adobe Reader
> > could not open 'file.pdf'
> > > because it is either not a supported file type or
> > becausethefile has
> > > been damaged (for example, it was sent as an
> email
> > attachment and
> > > wasn't correctly decoded)".  However,
> the
> > EXACT same file can be
> > > viewed with Evince:
> > >
> > > http://pj.freefaculty.org/linux/file.pdf
> >
> > That's not a PDF file, however. It's
> PostScript.
> > Display it with
> > "less" to see.
> >
> > --
>
> Evince opens both files up, but the first has the second
> page not show properly.  If the files are ps files disguised
> as PDF, then evince will open them, but acrobat won't.
> This has happened to me.  Solution might be a
> # yum install cups-pdf
>
> and then print to pdf using cups-pdf and the pdf should be
> viewable in Acrobat Reader.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio
>

> --

BTW,

I converted the first file using cups-pdf in Fedora and it should work on Acrobat Reader if you want to verify I posted it here:

>From here:
http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/02/26/222036/is-e-voting-a-threat-to-our-democracy.htm

I got a printer friendly version and I printed to pdf using cups-pdf directly from Firefox

http://www.geocities.com/olivares14031/Is_e-voting_a_threat_to_our_democracy____26_Feb_2007___ComputerWeekly.pdf

Regards,

Antonio