Re: Phonon and non-existant audio devices

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 15:28, Bill Crawford wrote:
> On Saturday 20 September 2008 15:16:54 Nigel Henry wrote:
> > When I built this machine the dvd combo drive came with no audio, or
> > digital cables so I tried the "direct digital playback" option with Kscd.
> > For some of the distros installed on this machine, that worked, but for
> > other distros, it was a no-go.
> >
> > Kubuntu Dapper had the same problem, and with dd playback box checked, I
> > get a "can't find disk".
>
> That sounds like you had more than one drive, and the "wrong" one was
> ending up as the default (or, they looked for "/dev/cdrom" and you had
> "/dev/dvd" or some such)?

Well yes, I agree, but there has only ever been one optical drive on this
machine. Putting aside the other distros where "direct digital playback"
doesn't work, the only difference I see in Fedora 9's Kscd's/Extras/Configure
KsCD is that the entry for "CD-ROM DEVICE", instead of showing for
example /dev/cdrom, shows [DVDRW - ATAPI - DVD A DH20A4P], which is greyed
out, and can't be changed . I've never seen that before, and usually you
would see /dev/cdrom in a box that you could edit, and change
to /dev/(whatever).

The block device for the optical drive is /dev/sr0, and there are links
pointing to this from /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrw, /dev/dvd, and /dev/dvdrw.

There is also a block device /dev/scd0 which again points to /dev/sr0.

> > I eventually found an audio cable for the combo drive, and got Kscd
> > working on the above non-working Kscd's, but had forgotten that I'd
> > connected the cable when trying Fedora 9's Kscd, which is why it was set
> > for "direct digital playback", and for some reason that won't work.
>
> That also sounds very much like failing to find the correct device to play
> from (or possibly permissions issue, trying to read from the drive).

Again, I agree, but as there is only one optical drive, it's all a bit
strange, not only with Fedora 9, but the other distros on this machine where
"direct digital playback" on Kscd, for some reason or other can't find the
drive.

I'll have to look into any possible permissions problems, when using "direct
digital playback" , but perhaps that will be for another thread.

> > Odd how Kscd will work with direct digital playback enabled on some of
> > the distros above, but with others it will only work with an audio cable
> > connected on the optical drive, and direct digital playback disabled.
>
> I've had more trouble the other way around; if I have the cable there, it
> could be difficult to work out what channel to adjust the volume on in the
> mixer. In some cases the channel wasn't shown by default, so it was extra
> confusing...

I agree. This new machine that I've built has an hda intel soundcard built in
on the mobo. The default setup showed no cd slider in alsamixer, so even
though an audio cd was playing, could not adjust the levels. I had to set
model options for the soundcard in /etc/modprobe.conf as below, which then
added a cd slider to alsamixer.
options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig

Mobo is Asus M2N-X Plus, with hda intel (Azalia) soundcard, using ALC662
codec.

> > Sorry for the long diatribe.
>
> It explained. Not a diatribe ;o)

Thanks for your reply Bill.