Re: nic bonding Fedora 8

Mark Haney wrote:
Steve Repo wrote:
On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Frank Murphy wrote:
Is this included in fedora 8.
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Net:Bonding

Tried yum info */ifenslave

Frank

Yeah it's included, I use it all the time between GigE ports on my data
servers.

very cool! I'm planning to do something like this but have a questions.

Does bonding really use both interfaces for data transfer or use the
second interface only if the first one is maxed out?

Thanks,
Steve

AFAIK, it's pretty well load balanced in that it looks and acts like one interface. I believe the algorithm determines which interface is least used and sends it from there.

It depends entirely on the bonding mode.  To summarize:

mode 0: naive round-robin, hammers the CPU, but the only mode that can exceed wire speed for a single socket. Doesn't scale past two NICs.

mode 1: Only one NIC active at a time. If High Availability is your priority, use this, because it's least likely to cause problems, since it looks to the network like just one NIC, because it is.

mode 2: non-LACP trunking, for people with certain older managed switches

mode 3: mirrors all traffic on all interfaces, generally only used to test networking gear

mode 4: LACP trunking, load-balances across active NICs with help from a managed switch

mode 5: transmit load balancing, good for servers that receive small requests and then send large responses

mode 6: active load balancing, uses arp trickery to make peers communicate with different NICs, only good if most of your traffic is within the subnet

-- Chris