Re: How to mount an LVM volume? (was lvm2 problem)

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:35:21AM -0400, Eric wrote:
> At 08:40 PM 9/22/2008, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >>>>>
> >The LVM system uses UUIDs (which are almost guaranteed to be unique) to
> >label each LVM PV, VG, and LV.  I believe you can use "vgscan" to
> >display them, and then reference the UUID of the VG in question when you
> >run "vgrename" to rename it to something *not* "VolGroup00".
> <<<<<
> Thanks but it doesn't work.
> Evidently vgrename will not allow me to rename a mounted volume; it
> says "Volume group "VolGroup00" still has active LVs".

As per man page you use the uuid on the vgrename command line to rename
the *inactive* VG.

+ "vgrename Zvlifi-Ep3t-e0Ng-U42h-o0ye-KHu1-nl7Ns4 VolGroup00_tmp" changes
+ the  name  of  the  Volume  Group  with  UUID
+ Zvlifi-Ep3t-e0Ng-U42h-o0ye-KHu1-nl7Ns4  to  "Vol- Group00_tmp".
+
+ All the Volume Groups visible to a system need to have different names.
+ Otherwise  many  LVM2  commands will refuse to run or give warning
+ messages.
+
+ This situation could arise when disks are moved between machines.  If a
+ disk is connected and it contains a Volume Group with the same name as
+ the Volume Group containing your root filesystem the  machine  might not
+ even boot correctly.  However, the two Volume Groups should have
+ different UUIDs (unless the disk was cloned) so you can rename one of
+ the conflicting Volume Groups with vgrename.

Older version of Fedora don't have that option.
For them you'll either need to use up-to-date packages from somewhere
(eg live CD) or else edit the filters in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf to hide one
of the devices temporarily while you do the vgrename, then reinstate it.

Alasdair
--
agk@xxxxxxxxxx