Re: ath5k won't connect -- sometimes

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 17:07 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 10:00 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > The access point is about 6 feet away so it's not a signal issue (and
> > my phone connects with no problem so the AP is OK as well)
>
> I'm curious as to whether the signal indicator that NetworkManager shows
> us on the desktop is simply showing an indication of the signal
> strength, or whether it also takes quality into account.  It's quite
> possible to be close to a source and have a strong but bad signal.

When it was working (see my original post) the indicator showed a strong
signal.

I seem to remember some comment on this from a few months ago, in the
sense that the signal strength reported by some Wifi cards is basically
fiction and has nothing to do with the real signal. Can't put my finger
on it for the moment though.

poc