problems with /etc/mtab file on fedora 9

well i have the following problem on my fedora 9 machine

we have an hundred of workstation that use autofs and ldap to mount share from an nfs server
and these workstation have a big /etc/mtab.
It seems that the /etc/mtab is not cleaned during reboot.

then at the boot the workstation try to mount 20 or more filesystem from the nfs server even if there s none connected on it.

that s a big problem as our nfs server is overwhelmed by mount request

Has someone already seen this problem and how to solve it?

thanks in advance for any help