Re: ssh2

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:48:47 +0200, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

roland wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 01:06:10 +0200, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

roland wrote:

Waw, this is a very exhaustive answer, and I thank you very much for this.
 How will have to do some reading.
One thing is for sure, I find the known-hosts in de userdir on windows but there are no entries added and I do not find anywhere the dsa or rsa or whatever keys.
 I removed all the keys in /etc/ssh/ and
indeed the keys were recreated.

Yes, that is the original problem, the host keys changed.

But Anita continues this difficulty and Putty never did.

Anita has no "problem," it is warning you that the host has changed. Trying to stop the warning instead of fixing the problem is like taking the battery out of the smoke alarm instead of finding the fire!

Must have to do something with this 3DES.

It has to do with the system being hacked.

I don't understand how Putty can login because there aren't any entries in known_hosts under windows which are referring to the hosts I'm logging into. ???

That's why putty can't detect that there's a problem, because it doesn't have the *correct* values, and so doesn't know that there is now an incorrect host key machine at the end of the socket.
Putty is using ssh2. So if the key of the remote host is not found in known_hosts on the mswindow station, why does nobody complaints? When will the key of the remote host be added in this file known_hosts?

Putty uses the ssh2 protocol, but probably not the code (haven't looked). In any case, the key is added in the Fedora ssh program after asking if you trust the connection (and verify the fingerprint). Without going back and checking to see how putty does this (haven't use putty in several years) I can't say how it works. I think I recall doing a manual step to save the key, but I haven't needed putty since 25 months now.

The use of known_hosts is done by the client, the protocol allows checking.

following this doc here after your assumption is not correct, or do I understand something wrong?

What you describe below is the behavior of ssh as provided by Fedora, and that's based on OpenSSH from the OpenBSD project. This is their client's warning.

If you reinstall, the reinstalled system creates a new set of identification keys. Any clients who had connected to the system with any of the OpenSSH tools before the reinstall will see the following message:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.

The worrying thing is that since the sshd now asks for ssh2 protocol only, there is a new sshd operating, one you didn't install, and one which may be copying keystroke data (login names and passwords) to some unauthorized other site. I can't say that's happening, but this has all of the characteristics of that. It could also be caused by an upgrade of sshd, although I read your posts to say that only you could do that.

It would be useful to use 'ps' to see which sshd is running, and to do an 'ls -l' and md5sum on the executable and post the values here. Also a telnet to the ssh port usually gives the protocol and sshd version, although that can be faked. Post that if you wish

You will find it in  annex

Thanks again for your time

Roland
telnet localhost 22
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.5p1

service sshd status
As you can see it doesn't give sshd but this crazy characters, in both cases

1628 ?        S      0:02 ?a?@°Ó?@?
22871 ?        S      0:00 ?a?@°Ó?@?

ls -l /usr/sbin/sshd
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      3963123 sep 16 00:03 /usr/sbin/sshd

md5sum /usr/sbin/sshd
1624e238c7d82ffcca3731534a06e9e8  /usr/sbin/sshd

They are trying to get in all the time
Sinds I changed root password and disabled remote root login, he is still trying to login as root and whatever password

Last night after trying to login, cups is started. Is this normal?

Sep 21 02:59:24 itact     [13797]: LoginGraceTime exceeded.
Sep 21 02:59:57 itact     [13866]: LoginGraceTime exceeded.
Sep 21 03:01:18 itact     [14043]: LoginGraceTime exceeded.
Sep 21 03:01:42 itact     [14093]: LoginGraceTime exceeded.
Sep 21 03:02:44 itact     [14228]: LoginGraceTime exceeded.
Sep 21 03:03:10 itact     [14287]: LoginGraceTime exceeded.
sep 21 04:02:05 itact cups: cupsd afgesloten succeeded
Sep 21 04:02:06 itact modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-188
Sep 21 04:02:07 itact last message repeated 15 times
sep 21 04:02:07 itact cups: cupsd start op succeeded