Re: howto log services startup message?

Hi Tim
i completely agree with you about boot.log.
i found, however, somwhere in google's depths a hint, that the previous boot.log goes into the rsyslog mark local7, which made me set a syslog string into /etc/rsyslog.conf like

# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.*                                /var/log/boot.log

but, as you will certainly assume: all to no avail, this "feature" does not work either.

suomi

Tim wrote:
yeti_hym:
Is there a way to save the services startup message to a log file? I get
xxxxx [failed] items sometimes, but the message quick goes away and I can't
catch it.

Depending on your system, you may be able to press the pause key on the
keyboard, and halt things for a moment.

Craig White:
already done - as root, look at /var/log/messages and all services
should log there but depending upon the service and the problem this may
be enough.

Only a few services have an output into that file, here.
I wish whoever decided that boot.log should go away (a few years back)
never disabled it, as they never released what they considered to be
their improvement on it.  The old /var/log/boot.log did show all the
bootup messages that went past the screen as the system started up.
With all the "okay," "failed," and other messages that happened as they
tried to start up.