Re: FireFox 3 EULA

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:28:43AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
No. For example, even with GPL, it's normal for people to insist that
their software is not being released for purposes of helping commit
crimes. For example, some software which rips CDs include EULAs that
prohibit the use for duplicating CDs except for personal "fair use"
type application.

However, that's merely a statement of intent and not part of the
license.

For instance, a license that says:
	"you may not use this software for larceny"

*IS*NOT* Free Software.

Then ISTM that whoever releases software which patently
could be used for criminal purposes should not use GPL.

But stating in the README file "The authors do not condone usage of this
software for larceny" is totally different.

I don't know about "totally", but certainly that's different.

[...]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.