Re: more yum update non-optimals

On Sep 15, 2008, at 8:14 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

[bunch of stuff about the AMD box]

yum info yum yum-utils

on the AMD box now shows the latest yum and yum-utils installed, and

yum update reports nothing found as it should.

My iBook G4 went through the first update, and right at the end of the last cleanup transaction (PackageKit), gave me a traceback. Something about (copied by hand, to practice my touch-typing ;)

-----------------------------
dbus.connection:Unable to set arguments () according to signature u's': <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: More items found in D-Bus signature than in Python arguments
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in <module>
    yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 241 in user_main
    errcode = main(args)
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 193, in main
    base.doTransaction()
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 432 in doTransaction
    self.runTransaction(cb=cb)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 790, in runTransaction
    self.plugins.run('posttrans')
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py", line 175, in run
    func(conduitcls(self, self.base, conf, **kwargs))
File "/usr/lib/yum-plugins/refresh-packagekit.py", line 37, in posttrans_hook
    packagekit_iface.StateHasChanged('posttrans')
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
    **keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 597, in call_blocking
    message.append(signature=signature, *args)
TypeError: More items found in D-Bus signature than in Python arguments
-----------------------------

I think I got that right.

I checked the new keys and they are in place in /etc/pki/rpm-gpg .

Anyone else seen this? Is it worth a bug report?

What's the usual thing to do next? keep yumming?

Is there a yum command to check yum's internal consistency?

Searching for bits and pieces of that traceback produced some interesting, but not very meaningful results. Except that I learn that the --skip-broken plugin has been absorbed into yum itself. Hmm.

Simply scanning down the archive tree found Amitakhya Phukan claiming he rpm-ed the latest yum, so I tried a yum clean without errors, and a few yum infos as well. So I tried

yum update yum yum-utils

and it shows no dependencies. So I swagged and let yum update itself. Now (feeling a little like I'm skating on thin ice),

yum update

does not give me any tracebacks, but it does show

--> Processing Conflict: kernel conflicts wtih iwl4965-firmware < 228.57.2

and stops.

yum --skip-broken update

per the FAQ (with a little fast ctl-s/ctl-q to keep things on the screen, I need a bigger scrollback buffer) tells me it will go ahead and skip the kernel and install the rest.

huh? Is it wise to skip the kernel?

What is iwl4965-firmware? yum info says it's firmware for the Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 4965. I don't remember having iNTEL (gag) wifi (gag) in here. So I check the dmesg, and that tells me something about needing to go to the linuxwireless site and download the latest firmware (version 4) for b43-phy0, and I go there are read something about needing to cut a broadcom (gag) blob (bleagh) out of the broadcom closed source drivers (gag), etc.

I feel nauseous. I'm tempted to remove the stupid wireless card and yum remove iwl4965-firmware.noarch. Except then I can't access the printer at work under Fedora. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH.

I think I'm going to take a deep breath, get some exercise and maybe a nap, and come back to this later.

Anyone offer me some consolation that I'm going to have to dirty up my nice iBook with this junk? I remember there's a Chinese company selling a lightweight with a MIPS-sort-of-derivative Chinese processor. Man, I hate monopolists and intellectual property politics.

Sorry about the stream-of-consciousness novel, here.

Joel Rees, going off to drown his sorrows in some adrenalin.