Re: grandma-rated mail reader

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200809 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for reminding me about VNC.  I gave it a spin yesterday between
> two of my computers and it worked well enough on the local ethernet.
> I'm a bit worried about the bandwidth and CPU required though.  The

If you tunnel vnc over ssh but load the vnc module in xorg.conf (so that the vnc
server is always running) then bandwidth seems to be OK even on a
relatively slow line (eg 448 kbps).
It also allows you to connect and see the remote screen even if there
is no user locally logged in on the remote machine - which allows you
to login after a reboot executed remotely. The local user does not then
need any technical knowledge most of the time - however there may still
be occasions where a physical visit is required to fix things.
One other thing worth considering is getting a UPS - if a power surge or
greyout/dropuut occurs it may save the necessity of a visit especially
if you are out of town when it will likely mean a delay before restoring
service.

> I need to drive down to her house before I can do an over the net
> test.  No way am I going to be able to talk her through to
> System->Preferences->Internet and Networking->Remote Desktop and
> configure the several things there without messing up other stuff.

If you load vnc as I suggested above then grandma never need know how
to make any vnc connections - the worst is that she may have to press the
power button to reboot... you do it "all" remotely.

> This is a first for me.  My biggest problem is I simply can't imagine
> what her problem is.  She'll poke at every underlined thing on the
> gmail web page frantically and type users names at the google search
> bar and wonder why "sending mail doesn't work again."  There are quite
> a few highly creative ways to fail and I think I've now seen a large
> number of them.  I wish I could simply the interface for her.  That

Yes I have been through this many times - you will find that she will
be able to get you to marvel at the novel ways to corrupt things and
set settings you never imagined existed which makes for a very interesting
time sleuthing to find out what has happened. Getting a phone call saying
"I think I must have pressed something and it is not working" - may not be
uncommon - you have to bite your lip and start trying everything you know
to work out what might have been done - I have been there many many times!

Mike