Re: grandma-rated mail reader

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200809 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe I'll try taping a cheat-sheet to the side of the monitor.

OK I sympathise - in my case grandma was 83 when she started out with FC1
and now she is 89! So things have had plenty of time to stabilise!

> The unexpected first problem is that she always seems to forget to
> actually send it when she is done typing.  A reminder pop-up would be

Forgetting to click things, or clicking when the mouse is not in the
correct place for focus will happen many times - but over time it will
likely occur less.

Chances are you will find various incomplete compose windows lying around
behind the main mail client window - which won't have been sent.
Slowly over time learning to send will become the norm... you will need
plenty of patience.

You may find that looking at the mouse or keyboard instead of where the
cursor is can cause problems - also when referring to move the mouse
I found it was clearer to say move the mouse, but watch where the little
cursor is - and make sure that the cursor is in "that" window before you
click... or similar helps with understanding.

When selecting recipients from a list again a clear explanation to make
sure that the correct recipient is selected, but then make sure that the
cursor is moved into the text area here before typing your message also
helps - but tends to be forgotten regularly at first.

In addition moving the cursor to below the signature line seems also to
occur - we added some white space in the compose text window to try to
avoid that problem - but it still happens even now!

Good luck and hope it works in time....