Re: grandma-rated mail reader

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> writes:
> If she would be happy with text only, I would say pine (now
> re-re-labeled as "alpine"). I suspect that the people with whom she
> most wants to exchange mail are not limited to text, so that's likely
> to be a solution.

I'm happy with text only, but I think she may be confused without
having all the options and commands up on the screen for her to chose
from.

Maybe I'll try taping a cheat-sheet to the side of the monitor.

> You might look at the mail component of seamonkey. Mail isn't really
> simple these days, and

I'm hoping to reduce the main functionality that she needs to see at
any point to:

    read mail
    reply to read mail
    compose entirely new message
    send reply or newly composed message off.

The unexpected first problem is that she always seems to forget to
actually send it when she is done typing.  A reminder pop-up would be
nice to have. ("you are attempting to close a window but still have an
N unsent messages.  Send now?")

The other problem is that she types when looking at gmail's text
boxes, but before she moves the cursor into the box.  She normally
ends up contaminating the formerly valid "To" address and the mail
later bounces with a "no such recipient error".  She is 80 though, so
I have to cut her quite a bit of slack.  I'm just not sure how to
explain things differently to make it click.  This is all new to me
too.  I'm hoping that a simpler interface that isn't that busy will
keep her from being overwhelmed by all the choices.

> .. hopefully she isn't going to have problems with UCE.

I'm using google mail as her mail server.  Google does an excellent
job of sorting spam.  I've tested their imap and smtp-ssl/tls
interface and they seems to work well enough for fedora's evolution to
act as a local MUA.  I assume all the other mail readers that support
imap and smtp-ssl will work too.

> alpine and seamonkey have packages.

Thanks!  I'll give them a spin too.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.