Re: KDE 4.1: Whew ! That is more like it ! Folderview and panel questions...

2008/9/10 linuxguy <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 1) How do I install application icons in the panel ?  I would like an
> icon for Konqueror, Evolution, Dolphin, etc.  I think it used to be in
> Add Widgets or something like that.  Where is it now ?

I don't know if the panel fully supports this yet. I've put my most
used applications to the Favourites tab in the main K menu.

> 2) How do I resize the Desktop folder view ?   I click the resize icon
> in the taskbar that appears on the side.  If I try long enough I can get
> the folderview to move.  But I can't seem to resize it.  What am I doing
> wrong ?
- Make sure your widgets aren't locked
- Point the folderview applet with your mouse. A "sidebar" should
appear next to the applet.
- Drag the resize button in the sidebar. It looks and acts a little
weird, but you'll get the idea when you try it a few times.

> 3) Is there a way to make the folder view to take up the whole desktop,
> for when I want a traditional look ?

I have heard this is possible even in KDE 4.1, but not yet fully
complete. It takes some extra work and disables the desktop wallpaper.
Better support for this is coming in the future versions of KDE.

> Excuse my ignorance but I am unclear how the whole folder view / new
> desktop paradigm is supposed to work.  My desktop used to be littered
> with file and folder icons.   What is it supposed to have now, a bunch
> of folder views ?

You can just use a single folderview like you would use a traditional
desktop with icons. Or you can organise your stuff into multiple
folderviews. For example, I have put my desktop application launchers
to their own folderview applet, so they don't get lost between the
everchanging heap of file icons. You can also choose to not use
desktop icons at all.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@xxxxxxxxx