Re: Fedora 8 and 9 updates re-enabled

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Dave Feustel <dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 08:30:27AM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 23:34 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> > In a few hours, updates for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9 will start hitting
>> > mirrors.  These updates are designed to transition users from our old
>> > repo locations to new locations that have all our updates re-signed with
>> > a new set of keys.
>> >
>> > Most users will simply need to apply the offered updates, and later
>> > apply any further updates, and verify/import the new GPG key.
>> >
>> > The process to getting new updates is two stage.
>> >
>> > Stage 1) Users configured to get updates from existing repos will see a
>> > small set of updates available in the next few hours/days.  These
>> > updates include fedora-release, PackageKit, gnome-packagekit, and unique
>> > (for Fedora 8, only fedora-release is offered).  These updates should be
>> > applied as soon as possible.
>> >
>> > Stage 2) Once the above updates have been applied, your update tools
>> > (yum, PackageKit, pirut) will see a new repository and a larger set of
>> > updates available.  This is your new standard flow of updates, that will
>> > continue to see new updates as the lifetime of Fedora 8 and 9 progress.
>> >
>> > There will be further milestones in the future that involve redirection
>> > of release package repos to match that of updates, and removing of old
>> > gpg key from rpm trust.
>> >
>> > For more details and an FAQ, please see
>> > https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Enabling_new_signing_key
>> I can't make this work. No matter what I do there is a missing
>> dependency reported for yum-utils of yum >= 3.2.19. My yum is 3.2.17.1.
>> How do we fix this?
>
> I am getting a continuous barrage of update messages and accompanying
> update failure messages. Are the failed update attempts repeated until
> they succeed, or will the popups eventually stop?

Some errors will be natural as the mirrors populate.
Depending on the order of the rsync file completion .....
In the general case take advantage of dependency mesessages
and just pause for a sane amount of time...  retry a couple of
hours later.  Say a third of the last two digits of your oldest parent's
birth year.

The dependency tree is valuable as it will establish an orderly update.
Take advantage of it.....

--
 NiftyFedora
 T o m M i t c h e l l