Re: grandma-rated mail reader

Nifty Fedora Mitch <niftyfedora <at> niftyegg.com> writes:

> In some cases the 'elderly' can type at world class speeds.
> An ASCII reader like this one "mutt" or "pine" should not
> be ignored.

Sure - has to be configured to suit the person.

> Also Gmail and Yahoo mail can provide very effective interfaces and no
> need to backup the local system.

Yes - though in general people will access these via webmail interfaces -
which implies being able to use a browser. If so then that will of course
work fine... though can be accessed via a mail client also...

But sometimes just having the mail client on screen and nothing else can
make life easier - depends on the person - in some cases just getting to
use a mouse can take time. Understanding the concepts of loading different
applications can overload a newcomer sometimes.

In my case the number of admin visits via vnc was initially every day
and sometimes more often - and only slowly diminished over a period of months
to reach a level of 1 or two vnc connections to fix things per week... and
around a year before being confident that no visit was needed within any
two week period.

So this can need plenty of time and also patience.  Of course some people
will take to the new systems like a duck to water and then life is a lot
easier - but that is not the case for everyone.

Anyway - I do wonder how many other people have provided a linux system for
an elderly relative to give them communication with friends and family?
Might be interesting to know if this is widespread or rare!