Re: Ntpdate fails to start

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Tony Molloy <tony.molloy@xxxxx> wrote:

>> > Did you reboot the machine.
>>
>> Yes, Tony.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Strange,
>
> As root do the following
>     ^^^
>
> #   chkconfig --level 345 network off
> #   chkconfig --list | grep network
>
> post your result
> make sure that network says off.
>
> #  chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager on
> #  chkconfig --list | grep NetworkManager
>
> post your result
> make sure that NetworkManager says on
>
> reboot the machine and watch the startup messages.
>
> NetworkManager should start
> ntpdate should fail
> network should not start.
>
> When the machine reboots
>
> #  service NetworkManager status
> post your results
>
> #  service network status
> post your results

The suggested way does not work, but it works if one stops
NetwokManager and sets on network instead.

After a reboot, I got

# /sbin/service network status
Configured devices:
lo eth0
Currently active devices:
lo eth0 vmnet8 vmnet1

# /sbin/service NetworkManager status
NetworkManager is stopped
#

Moreover, ntpdate does not complain at booting anymore.

Thank you a lot for having solved this very mysterious problem for me!

Paul