Re: video equipment still forcing my laptop to a lower res, argh

Quoting Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
Quoting Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Ed Greshko wrote:
Robert P. J. Day wrote:

  ok, i've fought with this for a bit but still have no solution.  to
recap, dell inspiron 9200, WUXGA (1920x1200) display, now running F9,
runs in full WUXGA mode out of the box perfectly.

  the instant i connect via VGA to a video processing unit (sorry, i
can't be more specific, i'm not allowed), when i restart the X server,
it comes up in 1152x864.  why is this?  what is it about X that
connecting to an external VGA destination will drive the resolution on
the laptop lower?  i'm baffled.

The first place I would look is in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and determine if
there is a difference between when X starts with the unit connected and
when not connected.  The log file is generated upon X starting.

I should have added that this is probably hardware related.  Chances are
the video chipset detects that it is attached to an external device and
the external hardware is limited to the lower resolution and thus
reports this at X startup.

  i'd thought of that, but i was *assured* by people who should know that
the external hardware is not reporting anything back to the laptop.  and
forgive my video-related ignorance, but what is *normally* reported back?
in what format?  and is there a way to tap that info in real time (a la
tcpdump)?  or is just checking the X log file the way to go?  thanks.

It may not be reporting anything at all.  The chipset simply detects
electrical connections on the external jack and does its thing.  I think
you will see a difference in the log file that indicates the higher
resolutions are not supported...I forget the exact wordings

  ok, i'll get a chance to check that when i get into the workplace.  but
is there any way to de-activate that checking within X?  from what you've
written, i'm assuming that the X server sees what's happening, and consequently scales back on the resolution as a result. is there an option to tell X to simply ignore that and go with full WUXGA no matter what? thanks.

rday