Re: video equipment still forcing my laptop to a lower res, argh

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>>   ok, i've fought with this for a bit but still have no solution.  to
>> recap, dell inspiron 9200, WUXGA (1920x1200) display, now running F9,
>> runs in full WUXGA mode out of the box perfectly.
>>
>>   the instant i connect via VGA to a video processing unit (sorry, i
>> can't be more specific, i'm not allowed), when i restart the X server,
>> it comes up in 1152x864.  why is this?  what is it about X that
>> connecting to an external VGA destination will drive the resolution on
>> the laptop lower?  i'm baffled.
>>

> The first place I would look is in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and determine if
> there is a difference between when X starts with the unit connected and
> when not connected.  The log file is generated upon X starting.

I should have added that this is probably hardware related.  Chances are
the video chipset detects that it is attached to an external device and
the external hardware is limited to the lower resolution and thus
reports this at X startup.

--
Novinson's Revolutionary Discovery: When comes the revolution, things
will be different -- not better, just different.