Re: Ntpdate fails to start

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 10:30:34 Paul Smith wrote:

> >> Thanks, Tim, but how can I check it out?
> >
> > # service NetworkManager status
> >
> > will tell you if NetworkManager is running
> >

> > # service network status
> >
> > will tell you if the networkservice is running.
> >
> > You shouldn't have both running.
> >
> > Try the following and post the results
> >
> > # ntpq -p
>
> Thanks, Tony. The results:
>
> # /sbin/service NetworkManager status
> NetworkManager (pid 2319) is running...
> #

OK, as someone in a previous e-mail said if NetworkManager is running then
ntpdate will fail to start at boot as NetworkManager will not have the
network set up in time.

ntpdate sets the  on your clock approx and then ntpd sets is accurately and
maintains it. However if ntpdate doesn't run and your clock is off by more
than a certain amount of time then ntpd will refuse to set it. I can't
remember what amount of time is involved.

What was the result of

# service network status

> # ntpq -p
> bash: ntpq: command not found
> #

Do this as root or give the full path /usr/sbin/ntpq -p and post the results.

> but
>
> # /sbin/service ntpd status
> ntpd (pid 2049) is running...
> #