Re: eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> The problem has partially returned. In my case, I have
>
> # ls /dev/cdrom*
> /dev/cdrom1
> #
>
> And I do the following:
>
> # cd /dev
> # ln -s ./cdrom1 cdrom
>
> that solves the problem until a new reboot. After a new reboot, I have
> to apply the solution above explained; otherwise, I get
>
> $ eject
> eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'
> $
>
> What can I do to make this solution permanent, i.e., not destroyed by a reboot?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

You may have to edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules and
make sure that the rules for creating the cdrom and cdrom0 are
correct. In your case, I suspect that the rules for cdrom1 should be
for cdrom0. Depending on the drive, it may also have dvd and dvdrw
rules.

The fix is fairly simple - comment out, or delete the <devicd>0
rules, change the <device>1 rules to <device>0, and copy the first
of the old cdrom1 (new cdrom0) rules and change cdrom1 to cdrom in
the copied rule.

When you reboot, all should be fine.

Mikkel