Re: External WUXGA Samsung monitor is forcing my laptop to VGA resolution.

Quoting "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200809@xxxxxxxxx>:

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
How does connecting the monitor somehow force the laptop into
640x480 mode?

I think X is trying to find some commonality between the two monitors
so that it can display the exact same image on both.  As you noticed,
that idea appears to be rather flawed.

I've been toying with doing the same under F9.  So far the best I
could do was to use Xrandr to configure each screen to its native size
and join one screen left/right of the other.  That's not really usable
either since the top and bottom window-manage toolbars only extend to
the left/right edge of the laptop screen.  Ideally, I'd like the
laptop screen to simply not display anything.  I'm not sure how to do
that yet, but hopefully the Xrandr hint will get you started.

After upgrading the laptop to F9, and hooking video, not to the monitor,
but to a piece of video processing equipment that is supposed to drive
the monitor, that video equipment is now forcing my laptop back to
1152x864 every time.  As soon as I disconnect the laptop, I can get my
native 1920x1200 back.  But not when I'm connected.

Grrrrrrr.  I'll look at Xrandr.  Thanks.

rday