Re: eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

On Monday 08 September 2008 11:25, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> The problem has partially returned. In my case, I have
>
> # ls /dev/cdrom*
> /dev/cdrom1
> #
>
> And I do the following:
>
> # cd /dev
> # ln -s ./cdrom1 cdrom
>
> that solves the problem until a new reboot. After a new reboot, I have
> to apply the solution above explained; otherwise, I get

That's pretty normal Paul, as most of the entries are created in /dev by udev,
at bootup time, then when you shutdown, those entries cease to exist. So a
symlink will not hold over a reboot. I think you'd need to make some change
in udev itself to do what you want.

> $ eject
> eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'
> $

Do you have more than one optical drive on the machine? I have 3 optical
drives on one machine (cdrom, cdrom1, and cdrom2), and if I specify which one
to open the tray on with eject, I can open any of them.
eject  (which as default opens the tray on cdrom)
eject cdrom   (same as above)
eject cdrom1
eject cdrom2

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but have a look at the man
page for eject.

> What can I do to make this solution permanent, i.e., not destroyed by a
> reboot?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

All the best.