Re: Ntpdate fails to start

Paul Smith wrote:
> # /sbin/service ntpd status
> ntpd (pid 2059) is running...
> #
>
> ntpdate tries to start at booting. So, should I disable it? Which one
> of the two should I have running in order to have always a correct
> time on my computer?

If you usually leave your computer running and reboot it only when there's an
update to Linux or GlibC, then you should use NTPD. It polls its servers
periodically and keeps your clock synchronized. If you only turn the computer
on for an hour every day, then it may be better to run NTPdate to set the
clock at boot. Somewhere between these two extremes is a grey area. I don't
know exactly where.

Björn Persson