Re: Fedora 9 Openchrome drv HP w2207h Monitor was: Re: help with setting up graphics

Björn Persson wrote:
> Beartooth wrote:
> >         I can't imagine why startx would work immediately after logging
> > in in text mode, without touching anything that affects the configuration
> > of X; and it seems a strange, roundabout approach. But I'm willing to try
> > it, if I understand aright what it is I'm to try.
>
> I don't understand it either but similar things happen to me. If I boot
> into runlevel 5 I only get a black screen. If I boot into runlevel 3, log
> in as root and run "init 5 ; exit", then X starts just fine.

This thread is a bit old but I thought I should mention what I've discovered:
Booting into runlevel 5 works if I disable RHGB (by removing "rhgb" from the
Linux command line). RHGB also doesn't run in runlevel 3, so that's why
booting into runlevel 3 made a difference. It seems like X works only if X
hasn't run before since the machine was booted. (RHGB uses its own instance
of X.)

I no longer have to run "init 5" manually. Of course I don't know how this
will work for anyone else.

Björn Persson