Re: Can't switch to KDE

On Sat, 2008-09-06 at 08:23 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Look, we have been at this too long.

Agreed.

> switchdesk changes the
> file .Xclient-defaults but that file is not sourced on my machine. If
> you know how to get it sourced when you login I will be glad to learn
> something new.

And I've been trying to explain that I don't use switchdesk because I
get the right result by editing /etc/sysconfig/desktop, which for some
reason isn't working for you.

I suspect that if you find out why switchdesk doesn't work for you, you
will also find out why my method doesn't work for you. The answer may be
to do with your X setup, not with switchdesk or /etc/sysconfig/desktop.

This is what is supposed to happen on F9 (note that this has changed a
bit since F8):

Boot goes to state 5
... which runs /etc/event.d/prefdm
... which runs /etc/X11/prefdm
... which consults /etc/sysconfig.desktop if present, and sets the
desktop manager
... and then executes it.
The desktop manager runs the login session
... then runs X as a child

You might want to look at /var/log/messages to see what is actually
happening.

poc