Re: Reasons behind defaulting atd and sendmail

Mike Cronenworth wrote:

> You're nitpicking unnecessarily. I know fully well that the incoming
> port needs to be opening, which is why I stated it as a point against
> default sendmail startup. No regular desktop Fedora user will even
> thinkg about su'ing, vi'ing, or even consider needing an MTA. They'll
> open up Evolution or Thunderbird to send an e-mail.

No really - you said that it requires a lot of work to be able to
receive incoming mail. I don't feal that changing one rule in
sendmail.mc, recreating sendmail.cf, and checking a checkbox in the
firewall GUI a lot of work.

> Example: Your User-Agent shows you used Thunderbird to reply to my mail
> and it travelled through a route that never included using sendmail. You
> arn't even using it yourself.

Nope - I use Postfix, not Sendmail. Besides using it for cron
messages, (These get re-routed to my personal account.) I have
several cron jobs that send mail over the Internet. I also accept
incoming connections from other people on the LAN. I have a POP/IMAP
server so we can get e-mail from it. For that matter, I use the
Infinity mail server even when I am on the road with my laptop.

>> If you have a mail server on your LAN, you can configure Sendmail to
>> use it without much trouble. It is also not that hard to configure
>> Sendmail to accept incoming connections. All it takes is editing or
>> removing one line, and regenerating the config file. Or if you are
>> brave, you can edit the config file directly. The change is fairly easy.
>
> Why would a user who installed using the default Fedora method need to
> do this? No one has given me an example. Just the fact that you can do
> it, which I already knew.

Well, have the example of the output of cron jobs. The OP does not
read them, but they really should be
> P.S. Future responders can skip treating me like I just installed
> Fedora. You're talking to an individual who has years of Unix
> experience. I know what MTAs are for, what uses them, rules of jobs,
> etc., etc. Please look at my original question from the standpoint of a
> *default* Fedora install. What do sendmail and atd do for a default
> Fedora install? In fact, what do they even do for other packages? I am
> not asking this for my own benefit, but for the benefit of a regular
> Fedora user. If you require their service you will know yourself and
> have to configure and startup (chkconfig or whatever suits you) those
> services. Don't use the "Just Because" clause.

Remember, we are not just writing responses to you, we are also
trying to clarify things for the OP, as well as people searching the
archives.. You original post was misleading to a new Linux user.

Mikkel