Re: Can't switch to KDE

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 05:24 -0700, Alex Makhlin wrote:

landon kelsey wrote:

I went through this when I installed F9

switchdesk is DEAD

I once used switchdesk to switch to KDE but no more

On the login page at the lower left is an icon to allow the choice of desktop manager

KDE GNOME ....

From: akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 16:07:05 -0500
Subject: Re: Can't switch to KDE

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 13:59 -0700, Aldo Foot wrote:

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Aaron Konstam  wrote:

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 11:51 -0700, Aldo Foot wrote:

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Timothy Murphy  wrote:

Anne Wilson wrote:

I've never used switchdesk.  Does it do something spectacular?  I've
always logged out, used the icon on the login panel to select the other
session,
then logged in again.  What extra does switchdesk give you?

Can't one just edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop ,
or doesn't that work any more?

It should, but that file has to be created in F8, is not there in my box.
the switchdesk is an optional package. I find is the quickest way
to change your desktop at the CLI -no file editing.

~af

How do you do it using CLI?

Install the switchdesk package, then change the desktop.
 $ sudo yum install switchdesk
 $ switchdesk KDE
that's it.

you can use your Fedora CD to install if you don't want to use yum.
I'm running F8, and I figure F9 should be no different.
~af

It is different, and the above does not work. It certainly worked in F8.

The problem you have is that KDE is not installed. I purchased a Fedora
9 Bible book which contained two Fedora 9 installation CD's, one
installation did not contain KDE so I was not able  to switch but the
second CD contained Fedora 9 KDE. Problem solved. You need to install
the KDE version of Fedora 9.

As I keep saying kde is installed on my machine.