Re: Reasons behind defaulting atd and sendmail

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: Reasons behind defaulting atd and sendmail
From: Chris Tyler <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora. <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/05/2008 08:04 AM

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 01:21 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
I've never heard "default" defined as desktop before. Why do you equate
the two? (To me, the default is a solid base that needs a (small) bit of
package selection to make an optimal server or desktop -- but I also
think that the PC paradigm has us thinking too hard in terms of 'server'
and 'client' and that there are lots of use cases that are
combinations).

By default no servers are installed. Not apache, not named, not dhcpd, not even an FTP server. Sendmail is the only "server-class" daemon that is installed by default. I'm not asking for sendmail's removal from installation but simply not enabling it at boot time.

I like being able to assume basic outbound MTA functionality is present,
so imho having sendmail there by default is a Good Thing. (But yeah, no
one reads root's mail. Maybe firstboot should give the option -- enabled
by default -- to redirect root's mail to the first user created (or
another address of the user's choice) via /etc/aliases).

Outbound MTAs on a local user's system are essentially useless in today's Internet. All major e-mail domains have spam filters specifically blocking dynamic IPs and most Fedora users have dynamic IP addresses, or in some non-US countries proxy IP addresses, even worse. The solution would be to configure sendmail to relay through your ISPs mail server, but who is going to do that. No one.

I didn't realize we're not running a combined crond/atd until your
message prompted me to check! I wonder why...

I'm walking my way up the food chain with this question, so maybe we'll find an answer soon.

Mike