Re: Decent scanning app

Mark Haney wrote:
Jonathan Underwood wrote:
2008/9/4 Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I'm at my wits end here. I've googled and looked and tried and can't find a decent scanning application anywhere. Back in the F8 days I ran kooka and it was awesome. Problem is, it's not actively maintained and isn't in KDE4.
 They do have a new scan app called skanlite, but I"ve not found it in
Fedora 9 repos (although it's possibly in a larger package like Kooka was).

So, what decent scanning apps are out there? I tried Gnomescan. It sucked. There's no way to add a scanner device to it that I could see. I was going
to go with Xsane, but wasn't sure about it.

If I have to, I'll rebuild kooka for F9, but surely there's a scanning app
in linux that is active and doesn't suck, right?

What's wrong with xsane? Works for me.

J.

Well, after not finding any decent recommendations for simple apps, I figured I'd go with it. No go. I get 'no devices found' and no way to configure mine. It's pitiful really.

No, it isn't. It'd be nice to know what your scanner is so we can advise you. What does "lsusb" report? Did you install ALL the xsane
backends such as sane-backends, sane-backends-libs libsane-hpaio and the
like?  You need those for sane-find-scanner to work.