Re: Java and openjdk

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Oh, sure. Feel free to look up the archives.

Different conversation, I guess.

You claimed a official Java implementation wouldn't have issues. OpenJDK is one.

I expected more from the conformance test. Apparently what fedora ships as a java 1.6 has different behavior than Sun's 1.6. And if you follow the conversation in that link I sent http://n2.nabble.com/Broken-Startup-on-Fedora-9-td640408.html#a640628, you'll see that the developer describes openjdk as a moving target where they even have trouble detecting the version/capabilities.

Errr, that blog says it builds... Is it your/fedora's policy that if something builds you should ship it?

You presume a lot without me saying anything of that as usual. This discussion was never about shipping anything.

http://blogs.opennms.org/?p=223

When you don't say what you mean, I have to guess. I thought you were trying to say that what fedora ships was good enough to use - which is what my side of the conversation has been about. I'm not convinced.

There is a screenshot showing that it works.

For some very strange definition of 'works'. The article accompanying it describes parts that don't work.

If you are not even running a recent release of Fedora, this doesn't affect you anyway. So again a theoretical discussion which I am not interested in.

I'm also not very interested in a conversation about _why_ it doesn't work, whether practical or theoretical, and at this point it is clear that is where running what fedora ships would lead. When I need something newer than FC6/RHEL5/Centos5 and have some reason to expect it to work I'll probably try again. In fact, I'd probably have one running under vmware if I expected even that to work without having to track non-standard patches. Is that listed on the FAQ these days?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx