Re: Folder permissions and Samba - question

In article <48B5662B.5020109@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bob Latham wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I want to setup a series of about a dozen folders that each have a
> > Samba share associated with them. Then I would like to place all of
> > those inside another folder that a super user can access and
> > consequently all of the lower ranking shared folders below.
> >
> > I've been experimenting and the results have clearly shown that what I
> > expected to be the case certainly isn't. I thought I could create the
> > super user and samba share his/her folder then create the sub folders
> > and samba share them. I then thought it would be a simple case of
> > setting the folder permissions to suit the required users but this
> > doesn't work. There is obviously a bit more to it.
> >
> > Anyone spare a few minutes to point me in the right direction on...?
> >
> > 1. How to give samba access to a folder that is not in /home/<user>.
> > Or more specifically not the normal home directory.I can get shares to
> >    work from the normal home dirs.
> >
> > 2. How to get the super user access from above?

> What are the permissions of the base folder?

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by 'base folder'.

> If Samba does not have permission to get a directory of the folder, then
> it can not access the folders inside.

Yes, that is what I thought. What I did was to share a home directory and
check that it worked for the specific user. Then changed the path in the
smb.conf to another folder and copied the permissions from the original
folder. I did this by right button clicking => properties => Permissions
tab. It didn't work.

> I normally use the dirm directory instead of folder.

Right, that's fine directory it is then.

> If you are running SELinux, you will also need to set the context of the
> folders to system_u:object_r:samba_share_t:s0

That's horrid! I don't have a clue what that means or how to do it.

I'm sure I don't need SELinux at all but can't find a way to stop it
running, certainly the services application doesn't list it as such. That
would be too easy wouldn't it.

When I was testing a shared home directory, it kept popping up a window
telling me it had blocked connections but they still seem to work ok.

How do you turn it off?

Thanks for your help.

Bob.