Re: Telnet Issue with Fedora 9

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 19:35 +0200, Leo Leavitt (leoleav) wrote:
> I have Fedora 9 installed on my Hp Laptop and I have Windows Vista on my other Hp Laptop. I also have Red Hat installed in a Desktop system. The issue that I have is that I can telnet OUT anywhere from my Hp Laptop that has Fedora on it but I cannot telnet in any time. I have tried everything that I could even taking the  Security off the Hp Fedora. I am at a loss. I have tried to send may messages to see if anyone can hep but to no avail.
>
> Leo Leavitt
> lleav@xxxxxxx [1]
> leoleavitt@xxxxxxxxxx [2]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:lleav@xxxxxxx
> [2] mailto:leoleavitt@xxxxxxxxxx

The telnet server software is not installed by default in Fedora; the
reason for this is that it's quite insecure to send login (and other)
information across the network in plaintext. The ssh service is an
encrypted alternative and is enabled by default (free Windows ssh
clients are available, such as putty[0]).

-Chris

[0] http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/