Re: Turn off bash completion?

I wrote:
> into ~/.inputrc , and log in again, completion should be disabled.
> You'll also have disabled the rest of the settings in /etc/inputrc: you
> might like to either copy them across, or try putting
> $include  /etc/inputrc
> into ~/.inputrc .

Mike McCarty replied:
> Hmm, created ~/.inputrc
>
> $ cat ~/.inputrc
> include /etc/inputrc
> set disable-completion on
>
> Then
>
> $ su - <myself>
>
> to get a login shell, and indeed completion is turned off.
> HOWEVER, so is "I". IOW, I can no longer type the letter "i"
> in either upper or lower case. I can, however, type in a
> tab. Hmm...

Weird.

If I use your .inputrc, then lower-case i stops working for me, too.

However, if I put the $ into the $include command, then the i key works
properly.

But you might, instead, like this ~/.inputrc :
$include /etc/inputrc
"\C-i": self-insert

That will unbind completion from the tab key, but leave it working if
you pressing escape twice (which also works on some variants of ksh when
tab doesn't work).

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | The attitude ``The computer said so, so it must be
aprilcottage.co.uk | right'' is always amusing to the people who program them.