Re: samba installed from scratch on fc9 doesn't work for me

Bill Crawford, il 27/08/2008 18:53, scrisse:
Try "-t smb" rather than "smbfs" (like "-t ext3" not "-t ext3fs").

I could try it when I'll be back, but I doubt it would work.
the driver name is "smbfs", and the driver name for ext3 is indeed "ext3"... even "man mount" refers to it as "smbfs".

I just did a few tests on my home pc, a slack box running a custom 2.6.26 kernel and samba 3.0.23. this is my home smb.conf:
[global]
   workgroup = Home
   server string = Samba Server
   security = share
   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
   load printers = no
   guest account = nobody
   log file = /var/log/samba.%m
   max log size = 50
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   dns proxy = no
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes
[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /mnt/storage/public
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writable = yes

I use samba here only to access some videos from my set-top-box, and with this very basic configuration I'm able to access locally to it using smbclient either with password and without, the only difference is that without password it warns me "server not using user level security and no password supplied", but it still gives me access.

Why can't I achieve the same thing on fedora?
at this point I'm pretty sure it is a bug, to me the key is the "tdb_fetch_uint32 failed" I get every time I add a user.
maybe I should file a bug on bugzilla, should I?

I searched www.samba.org for pre-built packages, but there are not more recent packages than 3.0.26 for fedora 7... I guess they would not work on fedora 9, would them?

my boss will kill me... all was working with winXP, but I always tried to convince him that linux is better :°(

--
      Massimo Maiurana         massimo<at>ragusa.linux.it
      http://massimo.solira.org       GPG keyID #7044D601

Articolo 33 - [...]Enti e privati hanno il diritto di istituire
scuole ed istituti di educazione, senza oneri per lo Stato.[...]