Re: samba installed from scratch on fc9 doesn't work for me

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 19:20 +0200, Massimo Maiurana wrote:
> Craig White, il 25/08/2008 16:44, scrisse:
>
> >> also, shouldn't the domain field reflect the workgroup name, i.e.
> >> GRECOELEVATORI? and if so, how can I edit it?
> > ----
> > yes, the 'workgroup' name in smb.conf should be the DOMAIN for all users
> > so there's a problem there to be sure. At this point, I would delete the
> > user and add the user back in.
> >
> > smbpasswd -x barbara
> > smbpasswd -a barbara
>
> I did it, but nothing had changed.
> however maybe domain and workgroup are not the same thing, because
> also on my home pc (which runs a samba server) domain is set to the
> name of the host.
----
in theory, a workgroup and domain are the same thing with the exception
that a domain implies more resources. On Samba, you merely set the
workgroup name. On Windows, you can choose to join a computer to the
domain (Win2K, WinXP Prof, WinVista Prof) or simply set the same
workgroup name
----

> > Just out of curiosity...
> >
> > what do you get from
> > net getlocalsid
> > net getdomainsid
> >
> > (hopefully S-1-5-21-4006416855-825432111-2697360864)
>
> it is so, but "net getdomainsid" says "could not get domain SID".
>
> > let's try this first...
> >
> > service nmb stop
> > service smb stop
> > rm /var/lib/samba/wins*
> > service nmb start
> > service smb start
> >
> > then if needed, delete the smbuser barbara and re-add barbara and check
>
> still nothing :(
> I assumed with /var/lib/samba/wins* you did mean actually
> /var/lib/samba/winbindd_privileged, because /var/lib/samba/wins*
> doesn't match nothing.
>
> > I think that if you want to allow 'guest' you have to 'map' the 'Bad
> > User' guest to an account and you will also have to add in Ufficio
> > share...
> > guest ok = yes
>
> not sure I understand you correctly.
> the public share has already "public=yes", which should be the same
> as "guest ok=yes".
> I added "guest account=ftp" in smb.conf and did "smbpasswd -a ftp"
> without supplying a password, but still nothing.
----
I think this step was unnecessary...
/etc/samba/smbusers maps 'nobody' user for you
----

> I even tried with secutity share, and this way I'm able to access
> the share, but only with barbara's password.
> if I try to access without a password it says "server not using user
> level security and no password supplied".
> neither with security share I'm able to access the share from the
> win98 machine; it says (translated from italian, the english text
> could be different) "unable to access \\BARBARA\Ufficio. unable to
> find share name". odd, given that I access to it locally with
> "smbclient //BARBARA/Ufficio".
> I can't even see win98's share from fedora, nor I can mount it with
> "mount -t cifs //greco/Ufficio2 /mnt/win98"; it says "mount error
> 112 = Host is down", but the share name is indeed //greco/Ufficio2,
> and "smbclient -L greco" confirms it.
----
It would be easier if you understood the differences between security =
user and security = share

security = user is the default and typically recommended method. This
simulates the type of networking since the release of WinNT4 and a user
need only connect to the server in one instance (user/password) and it
connects to all resources from that server. If the user logs in to his
Windows computer with the same user/password combination, then that
should automatically be passed to the Samba server without any need for
user entry.

security = share emulates the type of file sharing that was typical of
Windows 95 & Windows 98 where each share requires login with a user name
and password each time. Security = share has languished with little
attention since it is rarely used and probably will be phased out before
too long.

I'll address the smbfs/cifs issue as a reply to your other e-mail.

Craig