Re: Folder permissions and Samba - question

Bob Latham wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to setup a series of about a dozen folders that each have a Samba
> share associated with them. Then I would like to place all of those inside
> another folder that a super user can access and consequently all of the
> lower ranking shared folders below.
>
> I've been experimenting and the results have clearly shown that what I
> expected to be the case certainly isn't. I thought I could create the
> super user and samba share his/her folder then create the sub folders and
> samba share them. I then thought it would be a simple case of setting the
> folder permissions to suit the required users but this doesn't work. There
> is obviously a bit more to it.
>
> Anyone spare a few minutes to point me in the right direction on...?
>
> 1. How to give samba access to a folder that is not in /home/<user>. Or
>    more specifically not the normal home directory.I can get shares to
>    work from the normal home dirs.
>
> 2. How to get the super user access from above?
>

> TIA.
>
> Bob.

What are the permissions of the base folder? If Samba does not have
permission to get a directory of the folder, then it can not access
the folders inside. (I normally use the dirm directory instead of
folder.)

If you are running SELinux, you will also need to set the context of
the folders to system_u:object_r:samba_share_t:s0

Mikkel