Re: The Scope and Ownership of fedora-list

Anders Karlsson wrote:
* Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> [20080826 21:36]:
On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 14:39 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 07:13 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
(Remember: Using Linux also is a political statement)
Maybe.  Maybe not.
Well, to newcomer, it's likely not an obvious political statement, to
Linux veterans supporting Linux rsp. one of it's flavors (here: Fedora)
is a fully conscious active political statement/decision.

Chosing to use Linux may be a political statement. It may also be a "I
picked the best tool for the job, and this time, it happened to be
Linux".

This might be news to newcomers who regard Fedora and Linux as "a
technical alternative to Vista", ... but whether you like it or not,
Linux comes with political and philosophical strings attached, whether
you agree to them or not.

That is true.

What's not true is the percieved need to ram political and
philosophical views down the neck of some poor newcomer that requires
technical assistance. (I've made this point before.)

You can't control who offers help or what terms they demand for it. I haven't seen anyone ram philosophicals down anyones throat. I have seen two or more eager parties go at it for weeks but I don't mind that, I will participate or I won't.

IMHO - the community would be much better served by letting the first
list a new user subscribes to focus on help rather than
indoctrination. After all, we do want more users, right? :)

If you want more users and less noise then you have to raise the bar. I like the fedora list but it seems that too often people are offered a solution with little or no explanation. Now you might say, who has the time? or they just want it to work. These attitudes promote ignorance. I personally want an explanation, I don't like blindly implementing other peoples ideas and in fact I don't. I don't ask for help too often here anymore, not because I don't need it but because I'll have to hunt down the explanation on my own, I figure while I am at it I might as well hunt down the solution too. Maybe its just people assuming the other OP has a certain level of knowledge but if they had that level of knowledge then I am guessing they wouldn't need help. Fact is I'd rather an explanation was offered than a solution. Solutions are often quite apparent when the situation is properly understood. I am in the minority on this I am sure. Should I go back and count how many flash threads I have stored in my archive? All started because someone didn't have sound on flash, how about all the bitching and moaning about KDE? Someone even attributed a quote bashing KDE to me, when in fact I like it, on the blog they pass off as news. How many other recurring questions can I find? lets see....codecs is another...shall I go on? You want a technical list? We need to start producing threads that really explain things so that people can get pointed to these messages to solve their problem, instead of rehashing the same shit over and over. I am not blaming the people that ask the questions, I am blaming the people that provide the answers. Instead of getting technical now the censorship is starting....no I don't expect anyone will listen but i feel obligated to say it and no I am not interested in debating the matter I signed up for a technical discussion but its pretty thin around here.

-Max
--
Fortune favors the *BOLD*