Re: strange error

Beartooth wrote:
<snip>
> The package kit shows so many items under "Other" and
> "Programming" that I told it "apply" without them; ran yum update; and
> came back.
>
> Moderately bad news : the nice info under other rubrics,
> particularly the required-by tab, are entirely lacking in these. There is
> no way I can find for anybody who doesn't already know to tell what can
> be cut away safely and what not, except by trial and disaster.

what you are running into is main part of what i like and dislike, leaning
too often on dislike about c and rpm *packages*. everything is dependent.

even with mandrake's 'ccc', i had many times of aggravation in removing
programs, so i took things to a different view, and looks like it will
be put back to use with yum and maybe with packagekit.

when i ran into a program that i could not remove because it would remove
what i wanted also, i opened kwrite and noted what i did not want, then
removed name from list of what i wanted to remove.

after removing what i could, i would go to /usr/share and rename directories
with '*.2brmvd'. then let them sit while i tried their co-parts. if all
went well, i would go back later and remove them.

now, if you really want to clean up a bunch of dead files, you will really
be surprised just how much is wasted with 'locale'. several hundred megs
can be clear just by going into the various 'locale' directories and removing
what you do not need.

you will find them under /usr/java/*, /usr/lib/locale/, /usr/share/locale/,
/usr/share/X11/locale/,

there is one slight problem, they get built back and you do need to clean
them back out when every you run yum or rpm. one day i will write a script
to remove then and stop doing it by hand.

> in livna. I installed the F9 livna rpm, and tried "yum install pirut,"
> but it still only told me I already had packagekit.
>
> What's so wrong with having both?? One of my PCs does; but I
> can't remember how I got it there ...

remove packagekit, install pirut, then install packagekit back. :o)

- --
tc,hago.

.

learn linux: