Re: Laptop Recommendations

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Dave Cross <davorg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm about to buy a new laptop. And I'd like to buy one that works well
with Fedora 9. My current thinking is to go with something from Dell,
because they support Ubuntu on some of their laptops - and if
something works with Ubuntu then there's a good chance that it can be
made to work with Fedora. I'm very tempted by their new Studio range,
but they don't (yet) sell them with Ubuntu on so I suspect there might
be dragons there.

But I thought I'd ask if anyone here had any other suggestions. I'm
looking for a light laptop with something like a 12" screen, a 2 Ghz
or more processor, 2 Gb of RAM, 300 Gb hard disk, wireless and
bluetooth. Working well with Fedora is my primary concern.

I'm hoping to spend about £800, but could go to £1,000 for the right machine.

Any suggestions? Or suggestions of better places to go for suggestions?

Cheers,

Dave...

I got issued an HP 8510w workstation at work (a bit more high end than your looking at) and everything works.

Top level specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz
Centrino vPro chipset
Intel Wireless works out of the box
Bluetooth works
Video is Nvidia Quadro 570M (frame buffer driver works ok, but at 1900x1200 scrolling can be painful, nvidia driver from freshrpms works fine)
Sound works fine, all media buttons work (volume control, mute, etc)
DVD burner works fine with k3b
Booted F9 liveusb system fine (used to test the system before installing to disk)

Overall a very nice laptop.

Richard