kpalmdoc - convert PalmDOC to Text

I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong here but I just can't see it.

I have a number of pdb files that I want to convert to text.  It seems that the
simplest solution is kpalmdoc (part of kdepim).

So...

I crank up kpalmdoc and find two file selection boxes:  "Text file:" and
"DOC file:".  If I select the palmdoc file in the "DOC file" box and leave the
"Text file:" box empty, then click on "Convert PalmDOC to Text", I get this
message: "The text file /home already exists.  Overwrite it?"

Er, no, let's not overwrite that.

If I select a directory name under "Text file:" it tells me that "The text
file /directory/I/selected already exists.  Overwrite it?"

In order to convert an individual file to a text file I have to create a dummy
text file first, then select that and tell the program to overwrite it.

It gets worse if I select "Convert whole folders".  Then I get two selection
boxes, "Text folder:" and "Palmdoc folder".  No matter what I selections I make
in those boxes, I always get the message "No text files were converted
correctly" when I click on "Convert PalmDOC to Text".

So, what am I doing wrong here?  I can do this job by creating a
dummy file for each of the pdb files that I want to convert, then individually
selecting each file and telling it to overwrite the dummy file but that's
obviously not the right way to do it.

On a related note, can this conversion be done from the command line instead of
having to go through the gui?