Re: NFS info

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:44:05 +0100
Dan Track <dan.track@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm getting a constant problem where when I boot up a server that is
> moutning the /opt/logs dir from another server, the booting server
> hangs when the nfs server doesn't repond. Could you please give me an
> idea what options or setups I could use to get teh booting server to
> boot up and not hang on the nfs mount section?

You'll get better answers if you give more details about exactly what you're
trying to do and how you're doing it.

Why, for example, does the nfs server not respond?  Perhaps that's the first
problem that you need to resolve.

If you need to move the nfs mount to the last stage of the boot process for
some reason you could put a mount command into /etc/rc.local.  To prevent
hanging, use an &

Now to prevent something from hanging when it wants to use /opt/logs and it's
not available, that's a different problem and the best answer there is:  make
it available.  Solve the issue with the nfs server that's causing it to be
unavailable, or set up some kind of a fail-over for it.