Re: OT Electronics Help

Timothy Murphy wrote:
<snip>
> eg turning a water-tap on and off, at a remote site.

indoor or outdoor? ie, lawn water sprinkler.

remote? not by your armchair? at home or to water your horse on farm?

>>From my position of complete ignorance,
> X10 seems based on a bizarre system of sending information
> along power cables.

which is 'wireless', no wires running from controller to devices,
other than electrical wiring that carrier frequency control signals
travel thru.

> I would have thought wireless would have replace this years ago.

as in radio frequency wireless, wireless network and such, there are
many systems available.

x10 can be an inexpensive way of controlling a home system, if you have
good lightening suppression on your mains. problem is that x10 is designed
to work primarily over mains system. low voltage controllers are available.

most electric water control systems as used in lawn sprinklers are low
voltage for safety reasons.

using an rf system can get expensive. remote receiver devices do have relay
output because they do not have battery power to control water valves or
other such 'heavy loads'.

there are a multitude of ways control can be done and a multitude of
systems available. either with commercial or 'roll your own'.

any controller system does require a lot of forethought and consideration
as to how you go about implementing vs what you want to spend.

using a dedicated computer system, you can have a mixture of wired and
wireless.

wired can be as simple as using a printer port to controller cards with
8 to 32 uni and bidirectional connections.

wireless can be 802 wireless network or dedicated frequency band.

digital to analog, and analog to digital is also available.

along with site already presented, google will find you more than what
you will ever get thru all of.

- --
tc,hago.

.