Re: The Scope and Ownership of fedora-list

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 23:52 -0400, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> This list, fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx, is one of the first lists that most
> Fedora users join, and therefore quite important to the community.
> However, it's a high-volume list (and is sometimes perceived to have a
> high noise level), so many veterans of the Fedora community aren't
> subscribed.
>
> As the result of discussion at the last public (IRC) board meeting,
> it's
> been proposed that narrow the scope of this list a bit. The current
> description of this list simply reads:
>
>    fedora-users: For users of Fedora
>
> The proposed replacement is:
>
>    fedora-users: Help and support for using the Fedora distribution.
>
> Feedback on this proposed change is welcome.
>
> In addition, this list has been without an owner. Paul Frields and I
> have assumed ownership of the list, and we'd welcome one or two
> experienced members of the community to join us.

Some clarification based on the discussion that's taken place (while I
slept :-) ...

- Yes, I meant "fedora-list" and not "fedora-users" (sorry!)

- The intention is not to moderate or censor the list, but to make it
more useful by clarifying the list description and encouraging
participation in the list by more of the long-term community members.

- Likewise, the intention is not to reduce the list traffic by
moderation, but hopefully a clearer purpose and better participation
will increase its value to the community. (Obviously, moderation is an
option if things really get out of hand, but I don't think anyone really
wants to go there, and moderating a high-volume list in a timely fashion
is a huge task).

- That the list needs some love is clearly shown by the 149 messages in
the admin queue, dating back to early 2007 (mostly messages over the 60K
length limit and messages with subjects like "help" and "unsubscribe").

There's been some great feedback and suggestions on the list
description. How about this?--

        fedora-list: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for
        using the Fedora distribution.

--
Chris