Re: "Permission denied" error for root user when perms are 0775?

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Thank you, that is the likely answer. 'Defaults' allows 'exec', but you
> have to read further down in the options to see that 'user' or 'users'
> implies 'noexec'.
>
> Thank you, thank you. Easy to test/check and I now think that could be
> the actual problem.....And the fedora recovery environment uses a
> different set of defaults, which would explain why I could run the
> configure script at /mnt/sysimage/keep/mythtv, but NOT as root at
> /keep/mythtv.
>
> What it does NOT explain, however, is why I could not run the script
> EVEN THOUGH I WAS ROOT!. It would explain the failure of my attempts as
> user mythtv. But it does *feel* like progress. (Since if this is
> correct, I should be able to run the script as a user, using sudo...)
>
> Fingers crossed.
>
> Geoff

When a partition is mounted noexec, it means no execution of
programs on that partition for anyone. This specifically includes
root. There are a lot of security reasons for this, especially for
removable media. Picture the mess if someone could plug in a USB
stick or load a CD with their own suid programs on it. No allowing
root to override lets you examine the media without unintentionally
running a program/script from it.

Mikkel