Re: automatically mount removable devices

Carlo Nyto wrote:
I have a system with four removable drives (in USB enclosures). I want
them to be mounted automatically in the same location every time. I
want this to happen at bootup. I also want this to happen if the
system is booted without the drives and they are plugged in later,
regardless of the order.

Is this possible?

Udev rules still work ok.

I made a rules file: /etc/udev/rules.d/65-local.rules that contains lines like this:

# Western Digital 320GB External
SYSFS{idVendor}=="1058", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0404", SYMLINK+="big%n"

The values for Vendor and Product are the values listed by lsusb.

You will notice that I created a different designator other than sd to use. This allows easier to read /etc/fstab entries. I name the drives and use those names in /etc/fstab.

/dev/big1        /big            ext3    defaults    0 0

As has been mentioned, this is just one way to do it, and there may be a 'right' way that is quite different.

For my purposes, this works well.

Good Luck!