Re: H.D. install problem -

Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 19:58 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
I had hoped to make the new drive a third one but sadly I found only
two SATA connectors on the motherboard so I had to revert to plan B.

Or there's plan c - buy a SATA card to plug into your motherboard.

SATA card:

This is the only one I see that recognizes the existence of non Microsoft operating systems [there are some that mention Apple OSX] but do I care? This one has a raid function [which I don't need] that might require MS software but I would expect a controller card to just work except possibly for some change in the BIOS settings?

             HighPoint ROCKETRAID1520 W/O PCI SATA Controller Card -

       *Operating Systems Supported:* Windows 98 / ME / NT4.0 / 2K / XP
       / 2003 Linux (SuSE, Red Hat), and FreeBSD

It looks to me like a $15 or $20 card ought to work by just plugging it in without Windows but I need reassurance.

Does anyone know for certain?

Bob