Re: update error on F9

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 21:28 -0700, Paul Newell wrote:
> Finally managed to get FC5 upgraded to F9 by forgetting the upgrade and
> doing a full re-installation (the thread on 6 -> 9 made it clear I had
> to do that if I had any errors).
>
> Even managed to get internet access which I could never do on FC5, so
> I'm already ahead of the game.
>
> I got the expected notice of all the stuff that needed to be updated via
> pop-up and said "sure" after I had logged in as root to make sure there
> would be no permissions issue. It failed with the following error message:
>
> org.freedesktop.packagelist.update-system
> auth_admin_keep_always
>
> I tried from the other pulldown (admin?) for update system, got the
> window, said update, it did nothing.
>
> I was able to verify that I could get an update by downloading Firefox
> 3.0.1 (install DVD has Firefox 3 Beta 5) ... of course I couldn't
> install it as I could figure it out since it wasn't the "ultra newbie"
> Windows "download, click, install" system (since I've never had internet
> access on Linux, I know this is another issue I have to learn ... and will).
>
> My question to fedora-list is "what is the org.frredesktop.etc error and
> how to I correct so it will work". If I need to go command line and do
> it through yum, that's okay ... I just need a bit of guidance on the
> process.
----
no reason to log in as root to update...the package manager will ask for
root password before proceeding.

I would guess that updates are failing because some process is running
which is blocking other processes from running at this point, perhaps
the best thing you could do is restart, log in as normal and let the
update go (it will take a long time because several hundred packages
have been updated since the DVD release).

Probably best to let update handle updating Firefox too.

Craig