Re: non-disclosure of infrastructure problem a management issue?

Björn Persson asked:

> Bjørn Tore Sund wrote:
>> One thing this
>> incident has taught us is to take regular backups of that mirror so that we
>> can roll back to a non-suspect version of the Fedora updates.  Didn't have
>> that before, really missed it the last couple of weeks.
>
> How far would you have rolled it back? During the whole time that the Fedora
> repositories were suspect there was no information whatsoever on how old
> packages would have to be to be non-suspect. And while the infrastructure
> team either knew or suspected the whole time that the issue they were
> investigating was an intrusion, it probably did take some time before they
> knew how long the intrusion had been going on.

Sometimes you have all necessary information and can reach a well-founded
conclusion.  Sometimes you have to guess and hope for the best.  When I have
to guess because others are keeping information I need from me I'll postpone
the guessing while I attempt to persuade said other of the error of their
ways.  But I'll still make that guess when all else fails.

-BT
--
Bjørn Tore Sund       Phone: 555-84894   Email:   bjorn.sund@xxxxxxxxx
IT department         VIP:   81724       Support: http://bs.uib.no

When in fear and when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.